Support The EDO Decommissioners

Putting Arms Exports To Israel On Trial

Archive for July, 2010

and then they came for the Judges . . . . . .

Posted by anti militarist on July 31, 2010

Judge from EDO Decommissioners case now under investigation

A senior judge is under investigation after being accused of making anti-Semitic remarks in court. Judge George Bathurst-Norman is said by right wing critics to have persuaded a jury to clear a group of campaigners who smashed up a factory making parts for Israeli warplanes.

Read what The Daily Mail have to say on the matter.

Criticising Israeli War Crimes Is Not A Crime

After the historic victory of the EDO Decommissioners, the judge in the case, Judge George Bathurst-Norman, has become subject of a concerted campaign of smears and defamation by a number of right-wing columnists, the Zionist Federation, and the Board of Deputies of British Jews on grounds that his summary of the evidence was ‘anti-semitic’. The Office of Judicial Complaints (OJC) has as a result opened an investigation into Judge Bathurst Normans handling of the case. Although we don’t normally find ourselves defending judges, we find the charge of anti-semitism a grossly cynical attempt to undermine the significance of these acquittals of pro-Palestinian activists on evidence of Israeli war crimes that was for the most part agreed by the Crown Prosecution Service. There is nothing anti-semitic in putting agreed evidence of Israeli war crimes to a jury. You can express your concern about this investigation by sending an email to the Office Judicial Complaints, marking your email ‘Bathurst Norman’. customer@ojc.gsi.gov.uk
A full transcript of the Judges summary of the evidence has been published by the Jewish Chronicle here.

Advertisements

Posted in EDO | Leave a Comment »

Ornella Saibene on Rattansi and Ridley

Posted by anti militarist on July 30, 2010

Posted in EDO | Leave a Comment »

“we broke no law” Not Guilty

Posted by anti militarist on July 22, 2010

The EDO Decommissioners have all walked free after unanimous acquittals following the three week trial which concluded on Friday (2nd July) at Hove Crown Court. What began as a trial of the Decommissioners effectively ended up with the Brighton arms manufacturer, and the war crimes of the Israeli state, in the dock. Is it all over for EDO/ITT in Brighton? It might be now…
Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in EDO | Leave a Comment »

James Smith – Freed From Lewes Prison

Posted by anti militarist on July 9, 2010

Elijah James Smith was finally freed from Lewes prison on Wednesday 7th July. All of the decommissioners had been found unanimously not guilty last Friday, but James still had to apply for bail and is now tied to strict bail conditions, including not visiting Brighton.

James has spent over 18 months on remand for preventing war crimes, he has endured more than most could even imagine and his commitment to peace and the end to the immoral trade in arms is impressive to say the least.

James said “Thanks to everyone for your support and especially those who wrote letters, responding to them helped me pass the time.”

Meanwhile, the campaign continues weapon components used in war crimes around the world are still being made in Brighton, and unless we push for the closure of EDO/ITT they will continue to be. Although the not guilty verdict is a victory, it is not THE victory. “We will be here until EDO isn’t” For upto date information on the campaign keep an eye on www.smashedo.org.uk

Posted in EDO | Leave a Comment »

“A Journey of Solidarity with the EDO 9”

Posted by anti militarist on July 8, 2010

Acquitted for Decommissioning Israeli Weapon Components During the Israeli Bombing of Gaza  – Written by Ciaron O’Reilly

I remember first hearing the good news of the anti-war activists decomissioning the EDO arms factory in Brighton, England. It was the 3rd. week of the relentless Israeli blitzkrieg of Gaza in January 17th. ’09. More than 2,300 air-strikes were to devastate Gaza during this three week attack, as civilians had no where to flee or take shelter. The Israelis bombed 3,354 houses, 280 schools, Gaza’s only flour mill, the chicken farm that provided 10% of the eggs in the beseiged enclave, the sewage plant, wells that provided drinking water. The massacre promised to continue without serious opposition until the U.S. Presdiential inaugaration later that month. The Israeli government unleashed Operation Cast Lead shortly afer Christmas Day killing over 1400 Palestinians Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in EDO | 1 Comment »

Update From Decommissioners Trial

Posted by anti militarist on July 4, 2010

Posted in EDO | Leave a Comment »

R.I.P Tim Clark

Posted by anti militarist on July 4, 2010

In loving memory of Tim Clark, friend, joker and most proudly a father. He supported the campaign against  immoral arms manufacturers in Bristol at times getting himself into to trouble doing so. He supported the red factory social centre through good times and  bad. He was a pleasure to live and work with, he was a trooper, a comrade and hilarious at a party. He will be sadly missed but he will always remembered.

R.I.P Tim

Posted in EDO | Leave a Comment »

All Not Guilty

Posted by anti militarist on July 3, 2010

After a nail-biting twenty-four hour hiatus, the jury came to decision on the Decommissioners Case – 100% Not Guilty! Six of the seven defendants Tom Woodhead, Bob Nicholls, Ornella Saibene, Harvey Tadman, Simon Levin and Chris Osmond came smiling out of Hove Trial Centre at the end of a gruelling three and half week trial. Elijah Smith was remanded in custody for another offence. Five were acquitted on Wednesday afternoon, the other two Chris and Elijah had to wait until this morning. They had waited eighteen months for this moment. Read the article here

Posted in EDO | 2 Comments »

Five Not Guilty, Two Left Waiting . . .

Posted by anti militarist on July 1, 2010

Yesterday five of the seven remaining EDO decommissioners, on trial in Brighton for damaging the EDO arms factory during last year’s attack on Gaza, were found unanimously not guilty. The other two verdicts are expected Friday, as the court isn’t sitting today (Thursday 1st June).

The defendants successfully argued in court that they were acting to prevent war crimes against the people of Gaza. EDO MBM have been shown to be complicit in these crimes by supplying parts for F16 aircraft.

After being acquitted, one of the five, Ornella Saibene, said: “I’m proud of what I’ve done. It was the right thing to do.” the crowd gathered outside the court obviously agreed with her. Another decommissioner was heard saying “the campaign has been an inspiration to all of us and after this verdict an investigation should be launched into ITT’s bussiness here in the UK”

Noam Chomsky said on hearing the news “I would like to express my respect and admiration for those who are undertaking non-violent resistance to oppose British participation in Israel’s cruel and illegal crimes in Gaza.”

The court case will continue on friday support is still very welcome.

Posted in EDO | 2 Comments »